Effective October 1, 2020 – NJ Drivers will need to trade in their New Jersey driver’s license for a Real ID if they want to fly or enter federal facilities. The NJ Motor Vehicle Commission is still preparing to be able to provide NJ Real ID and hope to provide a limited quantity to NJ Driver’s License holders effective June 15, 2019 – however they are not going to make getting that gold star easy! Applicants for Real ID will need to bring two proofs of address as well as proof of social security number when they head to the DMV. Lines will be long and the process will be slow until everyone gets the swing of it – so those going for their Real ID should being their patience also….
Here is what you must know:
- The REAL ID looks like your traditional New Jersey driver license or ID, but with a gold star in the upper right corner. The standard driver license or ID looks similar, but instead of a gold star, it will have the words NOT FOR “REAL ID” PURPOSES written on it. Both the REAL ID driver license and the standard driver license are valid for driving. Here is what it will look like:
- The MVC will begin beta-testing REAL ID issuance in June 2019. The MVC will start with one agency, then as it works out the kinks, the department will expand to more agencies.
- During beta testing, the MVC will be issuing actual REAL ID licenses and IDs. You can find out more – and sign up to be notified when the agency near you starts issuing – at REALIDNJ.com.
- There will be an $11 fee associated with changing your standard NJ driver license or non-driver ID to a REAL ID if not done at renewal.
- You can get a REAL ID driver license or non-driver ID prior to the expiration of your current driver license or ID by visiting any New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission Agency. This REAL ID driver license or ID will expire upon your current expiration date. Sign up to be notified when the agency nearest you starts issuing REAL ID.
- You are not required to get a REAL ID. However, starting October 1, 2020, if you typically use your driver license or non-driver ID (instead of a passport or other form of ID) to fly domestically, you probably want a REAL ID. Otherwise you will need to use other acceptable identification such as a valid U.S. passport or military ID. The standard New Jersey driver license can still be used for driving.
- REAL IDs are best for those who typically use their driver license or non-driver ID (instead of a passport or other forms of ID) to fly domestically.
- If your current driver license or non-driver ID expires after September 30, 2020, you can wait until renewal time, but you’ll need to use a passport or another form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel in the interim. Or, you can come into an agency sooner to change to a REAL ID driver license or ID.
- People are probably familiar with what they currently need to provide at the Motor Vehicle Commission agency as proof of identification for a standard ID. They need to have a verifiable Social Security Number, they need to provide one document as proof of address and they need to provide identity documents that add up to 6 points according to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission guidelines.
- You will need to bring the following with you to get a REAL ID: two documents as proof of your address; one document as proof of your Social Security Number; identity documents that add up to six REAL ID points. Please check back at REALIDNJ.com soon for a link to an online calculator which will help you choose exactly what documents you will need to bring to a New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission agency for REAL ID.
- It is a federal requirement for security purposes that MVC scan the documents and keep them securely stored in an encrypted format.
- Your identification documents will be verified and, under certain circumstances, shared with the federal government. You can find out more by visiting the website https://www.dhs.gov/real-id.
- To get your first REAL ID driver license or non-driver ID, you will have to visit a New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission agency. The MVC recommends you visit the agency during the middle of the month to potentially reduce your waiting time.
- The MVC will be adding more online services so drivers don’t have to visit an agency for certain transactions, such as renewing a standard driver license or non-driver ID. So check the website to see if you can skip the trip to Motor Vehicle.
- The MVC is increasing staffing so that it can serve people more quickly if you have to come to the agency in person. If you are getting a REAL ID for the first time, you will have to visit an MVC agency.
- By federal law, people who are 18 and older after September 30, 2020, will need a REAL ID to fly domestically if you do not have a valid passport to use. More information can be found on the federal DHS website.